Design and technology is an inspiring, practical subject. Using creativity and imagination, pupils design and make products that solve real and relevant problems. Exciting and purposeful design briefs provide them with the chance to explore all areas of the Design and Technology curriculum: materials and construction, textiles, cooking and nutrition.
Children acquire a broad range of subject knowledge and draw on other subjects like maths, science, engineering, computing and art. Pupils learn how to take risks, becoming resourceful, innovative, enterprising and capable citizens. They combine practical skills with an understanding of artistic, social and environmental issues. They develop an understanding of design and technology’s impact on daily life and the wider world.
Through the evaluation of past, present and their own design and technology, pupils learn how high-quality design and technology makes an essential contribution to the creativity, culture, wealth and well-being of the world.
Our curriculum intent is to ensure that all pupils:
- develop the creative, technical and practical expertise needed to perform everyday tasks confidently and to participate successfully in an increasingly technological world
- build and apply knowledge, understanding and skills in order to design
- make high-quality products for a wide range of users
- evaluate and test their ideas and products and the work of others
- understand and apply the principles of nutrition and learn how to cook
Cooking and nutrition
We teach pupils how to cook and understand healthy eating. Learning how to cook is a crucial life skill that enables pupils to feed themselves and others affordably and well, now and in later life. It can also be a fulfilling creative process. Pupils are taught to:
- use the basic principles of a healthy and varied diet to prepare dishes
- understand where food comes from.
- understand and use the principles of a healthy and varied diet
- prepare and cook a variety of dishes using a range of cooking techniques
- understand seasonality, and know where and how a variety of ingredients are grown, reared, caught and processed
The following documents contain the detail of our design technology curriculum: